Guys, I am in davis. This has been a crazy journey (not reported on here: nevada incl las vegas, arizona incl grand canyon, seattle incl bill, sergio and devo), and here is my itinerary for the next 2 days:
*****
Itinerary for Micha Rahder
prospective Geography Ph.D. student
UC Davis
Resources
Davis wiki: http://daviswiki.org/Front_Page
UC Davis page: http://www.ucdavis.edu/index.html
UCD facts: http://facts.ucdavis.edu/
College of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences: http://www.aes.ucdavis.edu/
Geography Graduate Group: http://ggg.ucdavis.edu/ (note that the page needs updating)
Tuesday
Arrive in the evening (Staying at the Aggie Inn, Davis, CA. Confirmation #50383, room #305).
Wednesday, March 19
9:45 — walk with Ryan Galt from Aggie Inn to Mrak Hall
10-10:30 — meeting with Tu Jarvis, 150 Mrak Hall
Associate Dean of Human Sciences, College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences
Professor in the Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics, interests in Latin America & Chile
http://caes.ucdavis.edu/ourcollege/assocdeans/dean-lovell-tu-jarvis
11-11:30 AM — coffee with Aubrey White & Colleen Hiner @ Delta of Venus, 122 B St, (between 1st and 2nd)
Aubrey White - Community Development graduate student – subsistence fishing, mercury
Colleen Hiner - Geography PhD student – community participation, rural areas
11:30 - 12:30 PM — lunch with Ryan Galt & Steve Brush @ Ciocolat, 301 B Street (@ 3rd)
Steve Brush is Professor of community development and Chair of the GGG
http://hcd.ucdavis.edu/faculty/webpages/brush/
1-1:30 PM — meeting with Jonathan London, 2335 Hart Hall
Director of the Center for the Study of Regional Change, rural sociologist/geographer
2-2:30 PM — meeting with Ben Orlove, 3134 Wickson
Professor of anthropology/environmental science and policy
http://www.des.ucdavis.edu/faculty/orlove/orlove.htm
2:30 PM — meeting with Carrie Armstrong-Ruport, 207 Walker Hall
Program Coordinator, Geography Graduate Group
Phone: (530) 752-4119 (please bring any receipts with you along with boarding passes, etc.)
6:00 PM — dinner with Colleen Hiner, Margareta Lelea & Ryan Galt @ Seasons, 102 F St (@ 1st St)
Colleen Hiner - Geography PhD student
Margareta Lelea - Geography PhD student – feminist theory, livelihood strategies, Romania
Thursday, March 20
10:00-10:30 — coffee with Trina Filan @ CafĂ© Bernardo
Geography PhD student – new farmers in California, women in agriculture
10:30-11:00 — meeting with Julie Sze, 2134A Hart Hall
Associate Professor of American Studies & Director, Environmental Justice Project
http://ams.ucdavis.edu/%7ejsze/home%20page.htm
http://ej.ucdavis.edu/people.html
11:30-12:00 — meeting with Debbie Elliott Fisk, 1286 Academic Surge Building (southwest corner of the first floor)
Professor of Wildlife Fish and Conservative Biology
Habitat conservation and restoration; ecosystem analysis and management; landscape ecology
752-8559 office, 545-1061 cell; dlelliottfisk@ucdavis.edu
12:30-1:30 — meeting and lunch with Ryan Galt, 2429 Hart Hall
If possible stop by Carrie’s office (207 Walker Hall) to submit any additional receipts.
Afternoon - leave Davis for San Jose
*****
This was emailed to me, thrice due to revisions. I have a feeling that this guy Ryan, with whom I would theoretically be working here, is a bit of a micromanager.
This can be compared to the two days spent in Santa Cruz, where I got a brief tour of the department and chatted with some first year phd students I found in the student lounge, wandered around downtown, drank coffee and beer and talked to locals (surfers, hippies, and total freaks), met my awesome potential advisor dude for lunch and talked about the program and such, walked with a super-pregnant hoping-to-pop-the-dissertation-before-the-baby phd student to her house, where she made me tea and talked about the school and then drove me to the pier, where you can walk out to the end and peer down at fat seals all lying around underneath.
Walking back to my hotel from there, I bought some weed from a filthy - literally, needed some water somewhere near his clothing and/or body - hippie, and then drove up here and smoked it.
And then I made this video in the incredible new world of photobooth:
Can you guess which school I think I'll probably go to?
Tuesday, March 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
ummm... what are you doing there, missy?
I'm confused.
congratulations on your acceptances, micha!
in more important news, what is this about better photobooth? did you upgrade your OS or something??
Question: Did you flip us off? Sentence: Photobooth video pretty cool regardless.
Also, which school do you think you'll probably go to? I wasn't sure if that was rhetorical. Also, did you get into Berkeley and UW? I see that they're bitches, but I also see that you visited Seattle and your gchat status said you were going to Berkeley.
questions abound! I must have written that post when I was stoned...
just like this comment.
Merpez: I am confused about what you're confused about.
Herpes: yah! Merpez brought me the beautiful gift of Leopard! yay!
Awara: Yes, I flipped you off. Just you, though, not the other two.
Post a Comment